Tuesday 9 June 2020

easiest way to Root Roses from Cuttings

It is no secret I love roses.  Almost any rose is top notch in my book but I have a special affinity for old roses , English Roses and their French counterpart, Romanticas.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

(when choosing roses to take cuttings from please only use non-patented roses otherwise we are infringing on patents and that is considered stealing, there are tons of old roses that are not patented and they are easy care, tough plants)

I have shared a post on Rooting Lilacs from cuttings and my set up for roses is similar as far as the fish tank and box of soil mix.

But if you don’t have that much room or you want a smaller set up?  Voila’ I have you covered.

WHY GROW ROSES FROM CUTTINGS?

I love to grow roses from cuttings because it just fun but it is an easy way to get more of the roses that you love. Plus it can save you if you lose your favorite roses for some reason or other. 

In the article below I show you how I saved a rose that was dying from a rodent attack. But I could just have easily lost it forever. 

Related: How I saved a Dying rose

Having spares that you have started from cuttings is a good insurance policy. 

EAT THE POTATOES

Just so you know I have tried the potato method that I have heard so much about and is popular on Pinterest,  it just has not worked for me. 

I have tried that method a few times and all I got were little potatoes and none of the cuttings rooted.

Zero, zip, nada!

At the same time the cuttings I started using my other methods I had 80% success rate.

So save the potatoes for eating and just go this route for rooting roses, it is so much easier and more successful.
So here we go.


After you have wounded your rose cutting or slips, brush the wounded ends with a rooting hormone or solution. This speeds up the rooting process. 

Right now I am loving this stuff for rooting,  it roots things faster and more successfully.

Hormex 8 Hormone Rooting Powder #8 

It was recommended to me by a local Rose Society member that roots hundreds of roses each year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment